Friday, February 22, 2013

The British Museum, Part One


The British Museum is a really incredible place. Even more incredible, entry is free, and it is only 23 minutes from my flat. That's practically next door. The museum is huge, and today I decided to just wander around. The plan was just to walk through all the exhibits, just to get a general idea about what I wanted to spend more time on. That was the plan. 

It wasn't a bad plan, but I am easily distracted. First I was distracted by the Ancient Egyptians...



 ...then by the Greeks and Romans....


...and finally by Africa...


Did you know that the word "museum" comes from the word "Mouseion", and it meant a place connected with the Muses?

Or that geese were a favourite pet of children from ancient Greece?

Or that the Mausoleum at Halikarnassos was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?

Well now you do. 

I will be headed back soon to do more exploring. I still have Asia, the Americas, the Middle East, and Europe that I haven't seen at all, and I never made it to the mummy exhibit for Ancient Egypt. 

-El




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went to the British Museum. I've been a few times (one time more recently) and it is just astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't you visit the ginger mummmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?! Now you must go back take a picture of ginger the Egyptian mummy and post it. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete